Sunday, April 17, 2011

Elections, But No Fever

One cannot help but notice all the flags these days. The above photo was taken Sunday afternoon by yours truly, out looking for signs of spring. The odd patch of blue was a good sign, a few cherry blossoms heartened my soul, but as you can see, the wind was strong and it was more than cold. I soon let the camera dangle and thrust my cold fingers into the pockets of my fleece lined jacket.

The flags remind me of several things going on here these days. Being out and about in our town, one can hardly miss all the blue and white flags, attached to almost every vehicle, fluttering wildly like dogs ears out the windows. Hockey playoff time does strange things to people. Even now, an hour past game time, we hear honking from the speeding cars as they race to their rendezvous with other rabid fans to celebrate yet another Canuck victory. We are one game away from a sweep and a birth in round two of the playoffs. 

The flags also remind me that today we have a new NDP leader, elected only minutes ago (I am writing this on Sunday night). I do not know much about this fellow, but I am sure I will soon find out as he gets out the sparring gloves to take on our new Premier. Then, soon, there will be the by election where the new Premier will attempt to win a seat in the legislature. Soon after that there will be a Provincial election and that is when we will get to know Adrian Dix, the new NDP guy. Meanwhile, we are in the throes of a National Election, the outcome yet to be revealed as the polls do not show any substantive indication as to who will win and if it will be a majority or a minority government. Oh, the drama and suspense. (I jest, of course) 
Until all these issues are settled, we will continue to look for spring.  

No comments: