Monday, June 6, 2011

Auditory Incredulity


It was a warm Sunday afternoon and I was in my lounge chair, in the back yard, soaking up the rays of the late breaking spring. Although my book was interesting, the warmth of the sun and the fresh air got to me and I began to doze off, half in and half out of clarity.
Way back there, in the recesses of my mind, something was nagging, no, aggravating me. It was familiar, or at least the general sound of it was. But it was familiar in an odd sort of way, incongruous, not a right fit for what it should be. I tried to ignore it but something told me something was amiss. I shook myself to a waking state, to put my mind at ease as I solved the mystery my drowsy brain was presenting to me. Yes, that's it, it is that pesky ice-cream truck. Annoying, but one of the sounds of summer that one just has to put up with if one is to enjoy the outdoors on a sunny day. But wait, something is really wrong here. I listen, and I listen some more. Can it really be? I sat bolt upright as I called to busylizzy to confirm my greatest fear. Yes, it was true. The 'Pop Goes The Weasel' style of monkey grinder music emanating from the truck was none other than Handel's Messiah Hallelujah Chorus!  Will I ever eat ice-cream again?  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post. Shocking, really.

Ice cream, by the way, is best eaten after Sushi. Especially mango flavour. But then, you wouldn't know that.

-the Sushiholics Anonymous (who have henceforth banned you from commenting on their Sushi photos)