Thursday, June 23, 2011

Liam


What will the future hold for Liam? This is a question every generation ponders when watching their child or grandchild at play.
I remember my first playground experience, and the equipment was not much different. I threw up on one of those spinning platform things that are designed to make kids through up in the playground. Those engineers knew what they were doing. 
Many things do not change from generation to generation, perhaps only the distractions from the important things in life get increasingly more sophisticated and intrusive. I think that most parents fear for their kids in one sense or another, in spite of the fact that there is much to be optimistic about. 
Watching Liam soak up life like a thirsty paper towel is a good lesson. Everything that is said and done in his presence is a small tool in his arsenal of  learning experiences that will help him to form an attitude, a character, a world view, and will shape him into the man he will someday be. 
There are so many aspects to raising a child that must be kept in balance, and must be thought through, that it is amazing that people who have never had children before are even capable of doing so.
But that is the beauty of being a grandparent. It is called experience. But, just when the wisdom kicks in, the energy runs out. I could never keep up to any of my grandsons full time, but in the small doses that I get, I marvel at what a good job their parents are doing with them.  

  

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Today was a trial.
Liam hit me repeatedly at supper, flung his fork around, getting bits of his dinner everywhere, banged his cup on his tray over and over, had a back-arching fit, screamed and peed on the sofa. All in about 2.5 hours.
This girl wishes she had NOT come home from work today.

Terry said...

I do not know THAT Liam. Maybe I will have to edit my post. :)