Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Back in the Saddle


'Back in the saddle' refers to getting back to work, and is a rather old expression from the days when work was actually done from the back of a horse. My 'saddle' is not work but one of the things I do regularly and enjoy, and that is my life on the computer. My old Gateway had a massive technological event which resulted in a very negative downside. Being the heartless fellow that I am, I packed it in a box and will be rid of it soon. Of course, I kept its heart and soul, stored on an external hard drive, and breathed new life into a new HP Pavillion desk top PC. It is an ordeal to get a new system up and running, but I think we have accomplished that with most of the settings in order and all programs in place and operating smoothly. I am quite pleased that I am, for the first time in my life, on the leading edge of things techie. The computer I purchased was in the store only two days and I was the first to purchase one of these new generation monster machines. It has more speed than a bullet, twice as many processors as all my other computers put together, and more memory than a herd of elephants. And did I mention that it is wireless? No more hard wired cable connection! Now I can carry the tower, the monitor, the keyboard, the speakers, (including the big floor mounted woofer) and the mouse around the house with me, with twenty five miles of tangled cables and cords dragging behind me, shedding dust bunnies in its wake. And with an additional twenty five feet of extension cord and a multi octopus plug outlet, I can sit in the backyard and compute on my lawn chair. But, maybe not. I don't think it is waterproof. 


No comments: