Saturday, September 27, 2008

Of Tolls and Taxes


The excitement of the last two days has died down a little now that the grandsons have gone back home. My daughter is home after only 36 hours in hospital! To calm myself down and get back to reality, I want to comment on a surprise announcement I heard on Friday.
At noon, Gordon Campbell announced that the toll was coming off the Coquihalla highway at 1 pm. That highway was paid for many years ago and as we all know, once a tax is implemented, it stays in place in perpetuity. This is the first provincial tax that I can recall being re-called. Don't get me wrong. I am delighted, but there is something puzzling about this. Is not the carbon tax supposed to encourage us to use less fuel, take less trips, etc.? Removing a toll does the opposite! We are getting mixed messages from our Premier and the only explanation is his fall in the polls and he is trying to buy our vote. So what else is new?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what in the world is going on either. As someone who travels the Coquihalla on a frequent basis though, I'm just so thrilled that the toll is gone...for whatever reason!

Terry said...

I just talked to a trucker tonight who told me that some drivers will be saving $500 per week. (That is twice a day, 5 days a week, times $50 per trip)