Monday, September 1, 2008

Snake


I am back and it was a good little vacation. Why would I start with a snake picture? I suppose my mind is all over the place today trying to re-organise for a busy fall so I took the first picture off my memory card and went with it.
Our vacation spot, being the only true desert so far north, one would expect snakes and cactus and there were plenty of both. On a cool day they try to warm their bodies on the fresh black pavement on Highway 97 and rarely take into consideration the fact that there are deadly tires rolling in their direction. There are quite a variety of creatures on the road between here and there and some are very wary, others not. It is the deer I worry most about because of their size and the fact that they often only look one way before crossing the road to the proverbial greener grass.
The value in taking a vacation is that it forces one out of their routine and offers a chance to make a shift in outlook and thinking. Routine may be good for the physical workings of the body, but a divergence in everyday life is good for the soul and the mind. It refreshes, rejuvenates, and gives new perspective to the routine that is again inevitable and necessary.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Good holiday with you Dad! It was relaxing and refreshing. Okay....not refreshing actually. Insomnia and I made friends every night. Sigh.....