Saturday, January 9, 2010

Another Law Book

I enjoy reading a good book and always have. I have a list of favourite authors but there is a very popular author who is not really on my list and yet I keep picking up his books. John Grisham is a prolific writer who has published 21 novels and one work of non-fiction. I have just read my fifteenth Grisham novel and am into his latest effort, which is a collection of short stories called Ford County. His books are easy to read and he is a very good story teller. I sometimes get the feeling, after having completed another of his books, that anybody could do that.
Having been a lawyer himself, his books tend to be about lawyers. "The Associate" is no different. It takes the reader into the world of a brilliant law student and his first experience working with one of the largest law firms in the USA. There is a mantle of blackmail and intrigue surrounding his experience and he deftly tries to extricates himself from a very sticky situation. It makes one very cynical about the legal profession, but then there is a built in bias in all of us in that regard. It was a bit more satisfying than "The Appeal", which left me cold and tossing the book in the corner.
"Ford County" is proving to be interesting and diverse. I am half way through and will definitely finish.
My favourite story of his has nothing at all to do with the practise of law. It is the "The Painted House". My second favourite, "Playing for Pizza" is strictly about Italian football. So, why do I keep reading Grisham? I guess I am waiting for another novel from him that is not about lawyers.

No comments: