Sunday, January 10, 2010

Long Lost

My Aunt Louise and her daughter Bonnie.

She does not look Korean, but she practically is. My cousin Bonnie raised her family in the USA and then she and her husband Larry tootled off to Korea where they have been for the last 13 years. I had not seen her since our high school days together in the seventies and then one day she showed up at our garage sale! That was about two years ago. We heard she was in town yesterday and promptly invited her and her parents in for coffee and chocolate cheesecake. These are two amazing ladies. Louise is 90, and she will probably be reading this so I must be careful. She is one of those rare people who are teenagers trapped in an aging body. She is by far one of the sharpest, cleverest, wittiest and just downright nicest ladies I have ever known. In spite of living with pain, she keeps a youthful vigour about her and her enthusiasm is very catchy. I have only the greatest admiration for her. I see many similarities in Bonnie and the aging process has only enhanced those qualities in her that I admired so while we just teens. One of the things that makes her so endearing is her genuine interest in others. In fact, I feel guilty now that I allowed her to divert so much attention to us, and as a result, I feel we must get together again soon so I can reverse that situation and get to know her better.
As for Uncle Jack, I will save some thoughts for another post as he gave me a book to read and he wanted some feedback from me. I will only say for now that he considers himself as an 'over ripe teenager'.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I feel so honored to be related to such fantastic people. They are inspirational!