Monday, January 25, 2010

The Last Chapter

This is not the window we ordered!

The whole process started last August when we called the salesman to give us an estimate on the new doors and windows. We were sure we would be done by Christmas but one window and one door were ordered the wrong size and type so we waited until just last Thursday to finalize the project. I am pleased to announce that all is done and meets all our expectations. The issue of the steel door that was wrongly installed has been resolved and the only issue now is the missing latch from our storm door on the outside of the kitchen entry. When the guys un-installed the door in December, the latch must have been swept up with the debris and tossed out because we cannot find it anywhere. I will have to scrounge for one at a second hand store or rig something up in my work shop.
I have been a very light sleeper most of my adult life and will awaken during a storm, or if there is unusual noise near our house. I suppose it is the noise that does it because our house is now so air tight and quiet that I am sleeping right through the night. There was a violent wind storm here last week and I never heard a thing. Then the fire at the end of the block last week, with people on our street watching from a distance, and I was totally unaware. Not sure yet if this is good or bad.
Our heating bill decreased with the new energy efficient furnace we installed in August, and now in the month of February, we will get the first true result of the savings with both furnace and windows installed and doing their efficient thing. I am actually looking forward to getting a bill. I can't believe I just said that!
The next step is to get our house re-evaluated with another pressure test and then fill out the paperwork for all the rebates, grants, tax credits, and kick-backs. It was an expensive project but with all the refunds, the lower heating costs, the added value, and the increased comfort, it was all worth it.
Next project? Two actually. Get my dad's place up to date so we can put it on the market and when the weather warms up, paint our own house on the exterior. Without a project, I will have nothing to blog about.

No comments: