Saturday, January 16, 2010

Connected

I just noticed as I posted this photo, that we are all connected by knees and shoulders. I am happy that we are connected by more than that. My readers previously saw Louise and her daughter Bonnie, now have a look at my Uncle Jack. The last time he was at our home, he put on a magic (sleight of hand) show. That was back a ways at Thanksgiving. He always has something up his sleeve and this time it was his daughter. He brought her over so we could see each other after a long absence.

He also brought me a book and asked me to read it, which I have done. The book is "Transforming Encounters" written by Henry Teichrob from right here in Abbotsford. There are many locals who have written their biographies, many of them having come from very tumultuous circumstances, before they came to Canada. This is not really a biography, but more an account of a dynamic period of time in the life of the church. Henry was a key player in a genuine revival that took place in the seventies and spread throughout many parts of Canada and the USA.
Through an interesting accounting of how he, and his wife Freda, came to be involved, he goes on to tell of experience after experience how both Christians and non -Christians came to be free from what he calls 'self-life'. It is really a treatise on being free in Christ and allowing the Holy Spirit to work through the believer. He documents many testimonies and and they are all, every one, remarkable. If a person were ever in his life to wonder if there is more to Christianity than what they are experiencing, this is a book for them. I found it encouraging, insightful, inspirational, interesting, instructional, and quite well written. When I see all the books flying off the shelves in the local Christian Bookstore by authors such as Yancy, Eldridge, Colson, and Lucado, I wonder why Henry's book is not a best seller also.
Thank you, Jack, for the book. I will now do as you asked and pass it on to someone else, and if they return it like I will request, it will get passed on again.

No comments: