Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Dream

I awoke with a start a half hour before the alarm could jar me out of my dream. It was such a vivid dream that it took several minutes to realise just where I was. I cannot remember ever being more anxious to go on a vacation than I have been this winter. It has been two years since we have been anywhere warm in the cold, dark, and wet months of November to February. I have been thinking of nothing else since we booked this vacation several weeks ago. The thought is now invading my dreams.
We were dining in the Flamingos, the open air restaurant that faces the sunsets and the open waters of Banderas Bay. The food and beverages were delicious, the company and conversation were stimulating, and balmy early evening ocean breezes were cooling our skin after a day in the hot sun. The tinkling of glasses and distant clatter of dishes were all that remained of our dinner and it was soon time to make a decision. Our friendly Mexican waiter made one last attempt to refill our coffee cups and departed with an amiable "Amigo" greeting. Should we take a stroll along the beach as the last vestiges of the sunset were spreading their reflection on the water, should we wander about the impromptu market that sets up around the main pool each evening, or should we take in the Latino show that will grace the entertainment bowl that night? There was no wrong choice.
But, the reality was that I was still in my bed at home, a whole week to go, and six days of hard work ahead of me. This dream has given me serious second thoughts. I think I have made a big mistake. I know I have made a big mistake. I should have booked two weeks instead of one!

No comments: