Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day Dreamin'

A dream, unless very intense, will likely fade away from the memory in 24 hours. My dream is in continuous mode. As I was working today, my mind was far away, somewhere just north of Puerto Vallarta. I was sitting beside the clear blue waters of one of the seven swimming pools, my head in the shade of a swaying palm tree while my body was soaking up UV, washing my eczema splotched body in Vitamin D. I can feel the healing as I slowly turn the pages of my paperback novel. The background sounds are muted and far away. There are not too many people around the pool today but I can catch bits and pieces of conversation. The words 'snow', 'north', 'cold', and 'home', are caught on the breeze and I know where those tourists are from. Over there I see a white skinned couple dragging their luggage behind them, still wearing their blue jeans and sneakers, and anxious to get to their room so they can change into shorts and sandals. A few minutes later another couple, dragging their luggage in the other direction, look longingly over their tanned shoulders, dreading the return to their cold and snowy home. But me, I just bask in the sun and take it all in. There in that tall tree, the one where the doves coo early in the dawn light, there is a commotion. I train my eyes on the lower branches where I thought I saw movement. I see others pointing and soon I see it too. There is an iguana, about three feet long from the tip of its long sharp tail to its blunt nose. They are everywhere but very difficult to spot. They are very shy, and well camouflaged. I soon lose sight of the reptile, even though it did not move away. It just blended in. I take another sip of my cool sweet drink and go back to my book. I toy with the idea of getting a big plate of fresh fruit, watermelon, papaya, and succulent pineapple. But first I will take a quick dip in the pool to cool down a bit. It is 30C and I am not used to it, but adjusting rather nicely. As I roll off my lounge chair, I look down and get a cold chill. I am staring into my tool box, looking for the umbrella straw I dropped but seeing only screwdrivers and hammers. Which one is reality? For now, I am afraid that the hammers and screwdrivers are winning out.

2 comments:

Gaye said...

Wow! You are going to find it difficult to come back to reality. Perhaps you should try to get another week, at least.

poof said...

Oh stop it before the iguana bites you!