Monday, January 18, 2010

Becoming a Habit?

In October I told you about a chance meeting. When we go for a long Sunday afternoon walk, we never know who we are going to bump into. We saw a couple way in the distance, ahead of us, and something about them looked familiar. We picked up the pace and after some strenuous speed walking, we caught up to them and yes, it was the same couple. We had not seen them since our last encounter in the park.
At the time, he was getting over the swine flu, but there was another issue he was dealing with. He had, only last summer, experienced a 'neurological event'. Today he tells me that what he had was a stroke. All the testing, poking and prodding has been done and it is determined that if he does not lead a very healthy lifestyle from now on, he could be hit again, only this time with much more devastating results. He has not worked for a 1/2 a year and will not be going back any time soon. When he does, it will start at 4 hours per day and work up to maybe three days a week. His future is very uncertain now to say the least. He is much younger than I am and that makes me grateful that I have reached the age I have without a similar experience.
He was able to tell me of a few positive benefits which have arisen as result in this event in his life and that tells me that he is not very stressed about it. That in itself will serve him well. His future is a life of taking things one day at a time and being grateful for every moment.
I told him that he is fortunate to have found this great secret to life before it was too late.

No comments: