Saturday, December 27, 2008

And Then the Rains Came

I have lived on this street long enough to know what happens when there is heavy snow and then the rains come. With that in mind, I got out there early this morning and began to dig a channel along the curb so that as the rain and melted snow accumulated, it had a place to go. The storm drain is two houses down from me and my neighbour and I had it done in about an hour. He is new to the street so I was telling about the potential flooding and how the snow plow could come and ruin all our work and cause a big problem. Wouldn't you know it. The plow came storming around the corner up the street and fortunately was on the other side of the street. I knew he would be back, pushing all the road slush into our little man made channel. I have seen the street fill to a depth of 12 inches when this happens. By this time I was soaked from the rain and exhausted from pushing the heavy snow/slush. I simply stood in the path of the plow. He had to stop or commit a criminal act. He stopped. As he opened the cab door and turned off his stereo, a gush of warm dry air came spilling out and I thought he would not care about my plight. I explained the situation, he mildly protested but sensed my resolve, and when he put his massive machine back into gear, he carefully skirted my handiwork and saved the day for me. I am so grateful.
As I write this, my outer wear is drying by the fireplace, my belly is full of coffee laced with plenty of eggnog, and I know my street will not flood. But wait! What is that I hear. My roof is groaning under the weight of rain laden snow. I will have to get back to you later.

No comments: