Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Yearning for Warmer Days


Looking out into our frozen and barren garden, it is hard to believe that this flower was growing there only a few months ago. Right now, there is no living organisms in sight. Our power has not been interrupted since the 6 hour outage yesterday, and I have been able to complete the kitchen project.
The river is choking up with ice and the Albion ferry has been taken out of service for the first time in seven years. There is more snow forecast for tomorrow. My cousins in Saskatchewan tell me it is a deep freeze there, so I am happy to be confined to the refrigerator.
I look at all this and I cannot help but think of sunny Mexico. Or the palm lined beaches of Hawaii. I thought we would be booking that vacation right about now, for January, but because we had no work in all of December, and just picked up a big job for January, I now have to have my eye on February for the getaway. Our life has always been full of uncertainty, just like Forest Gump's box of chocolates.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I can only imagine how cold it is there!!! Brrrrrrr sends shivers down my spine. We have had temps in the low 20's here, and that is low enough to freeze me nearly stiff, LOL. The wind chill here is what gets me... that cold northern air blowing in just freezes me to the core. By the way, yes I do feel lucky to be alive! Whew, that scene could have been disastrous. Thanks for the kind comment about my weekend photos. As always, I appreciate them. Try to stay warm and I hope you can keep power... I understand how frustrating it is to be without electricity (we were without it for nearly two weeks after Hurricane Katrina). God bless you and yours!