Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Failure

I cannot remember the last time I was ill enough to spend the day in bed, but I can remember what it was like when I did. There are things that had to get done, but you lie there frustrated. You eventually give in to it, but it is not easy.
Yesterday our power went off and it was the same feeling. My intention was to finish the kitchen redo and I was anxious to get at it. I was just getting the tools ready and it went dark. Yes, it was a sunny bright day, but there was not enough light on that side of the house to see what I was doing. We are in an extended cold period with howling east winds and cold temperatures. This is unusual for our part of the country, but not unheard of.
I cranked up both gas fireplaces and managed to keep the indoor temperature at 18C. I thought it would be a good opportunity to detail the poor grout job I did on my tiles. Then I remembered that I needed power for the Dremel tool. Oh well, I can blog. Oops! That will not work either. I could not even phone out as we changed over to digital phone service a few months ago and it requires power. By this time it was getting brighter in the front room so I bundled up, got out my 1000 page novel and read, but all the while thinking that the power would go back on at any minute and I could resume my day. Well, it did. But not soon enough to get to the painting as the chief cook showed up from her busy day and began using the kitchen. "We have to quickly cook dinner before the power goes out again!" And here I thought that was what "Wendy's" was for.
So now the furnace is re-warming the house, the refrigerator and freezer are running wildly, and all the clocks are blinking. And we wait, as the wind howls, for the next outage.


1 comment:

Rachel said...

We felt really 'paralyzed' here as well. The boys' school was shut down and they had hoped for a long day of playing video games. Alas...it was not meant to be :(