Thursday, June 3, 2010

Another Doctor 3

This is the same neighbourhood as the last three or four homes and yes, another doctor lives here, but not any ordinary doctor. There is a very good reason these good folks are on my top ten picky list. He has been trained to see detail and pick out the tiniest flaws, anything out of the ordinary and anything that is not as it should be. You see, he is a radiologist and studies x-rays and scans all day long. People's lives depend on his ability to spot the flaws, so, naturally, this attitude extends to his daily life, away from work. He HAS to be a perfectionist, or he would not be able to do what he does. I always felt honoured and a bit lucky when I finished a job for these people and they did not find fault with my workmanship. Not they never did, but it was always fixable. About two years ago, I was called back for the umpteenth time to do a complete makeover of the entire home. They needed a contractor to look after some structural changes and then I could come in and do my 'thing'. It just wasn't happening and then about six months later they finally called and apologised profusely. The contractor, it seemed, only worked with 'his' sub trades and he did not know me so I was out of the picture. I was not disappointed at all, in fact I was relieved and had lots of other work anyways.
As I get older, I have less patience for perfectionism as I realise it should not be a priority in any body's life. It does not matter if it is not perfect. Very good, yes, but perfect is not something you can take with you. Having said that, if I were to have an x-ray, I would prefer it if this good doctor read my negatives.
One other thing. This couple is childless so they have time for a very interesting hobby. They are gourmet chefs and their dinner parties are renowned. They also spend a lot of time in the Caribbean, sailing. Even though I have never been invited to sail or dine with them, I like them a whole bunch.

No comments: