Saturday, June 12, 2010

Pitt River in the Rain

We drove into Pitt Meadows on Friday to estimate a job and then we did something unusual. My son, Andrew, and I, both enjoy photography and always talk about going and shooting some pictures, but rarely actually do it. Well, in light of the fact that either of us could get hit by a rock, we just went and did it. We took a leisurely morning off work and had a blast, even though it was threatening rain and eventually did. Here is Andrew with his 400mm lens mounted on his Canon trying to zoom in on a couple of finches flitting about in the bushes.
The light was grey and flat, almost not bright enough to get decent shutter speeds and apertures.

There were Cranes everywhere and they did not mind posing for us. Unlike the gaily dressed Mexicans we photograph in Puerto Vallarta, they did not put out their hand after the shutter snapped.


It is a beautiful and peaceful spot we found on this cloudy and cool morning.



The grass seed heads were leaning over, laden with moisture.





I had not ever seen a Cedar Waxwing in BC, and there he was, right at the end of my 200 mm zoom range.





The remnants of old pilings show that this was at one time a commercial river.





I wanted to get closer to this fellow, but there was a big swamp between him and me. I may have to get a bigger lens or a pair of hip waders.
Leaving the urgency of business once in a while is good for the soul.







2 comments:

Eric Vogt said...

I'm forward to getting out and shooting with my dad soon. I have enjoyed getting out just to take pictures so much over the past year. It's just so pretty up here in the North West!

However, the often grey days are difficult to make great images in!

Terry said...

I posted these photos to chronicle the day and the journey, not because they are great images. You are right about the grey days. I switched some of my shots to black and white and it made little difference. You know the light was bad when that happens. I have a few more to post from this little trip.