Friday, March 18, 2011

13


Today my oldest grandson turns 13. Yes, a 'teenager'. As I recall, the day could not come fast enough for me when I was twelve, but today, I can scarce believe how the time has been compressed to what seems like only minutes. It is with joy and gratitude that I have been able to watch Nate grow and develop these thirteen years. Not all grandparents have the opportunity, and sadly, some do not have the desire. 
I have so many photos of him and I must admit that I did not go through all of them to chose the best, the most interesting, the funniest, or the most beautiful. At each age and each time I had the camera at the ready, he was not what he was the time before. Like all kids, he changed so fast and each and every moment had was its own treasure. 
I like the photo above because, for a while, being a super hero in our back yard was his and Chad's favourite thing to do. The fun of doing this lasted many summers, actually, and do doubt Liam will be into this kind of fun soon, and I am sure that Nate will 'show him the ropes'. 
The photo captures Nate's sense of fun and adventure, his imagination and creativity, and shows what a great big brother he is. The dramatic part of him is coming out now in his theatrical pursuits. His love of the stage and performing is written in his face. Being a voracious reader has introduced him to worlds way beyond his own, and perhaps through acting, he can participate in something beyond his own everyday experience, not that there is anything lacking there. 
And so, to my kind, caring, polite, helpful, funny, smart, handsome, and loving grandson, a great big HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I got Nate to read this post. He was very pleased!