Saturday, March 5, 2011

GPS

You could end up by this tree in the desert, like I did, when your GPS lets you down.

Shortly before we left on our trip to California in December, I was on the brink of purchasing a GPS unit for my car. They are all the rage now and if your car is not factory equipped with one, there are many makes and models to chose from as an after market add-on. I am happy that I did not purchase one.
Since that time I have heard numerous stories of GPS systems leading people astray. I think what happens is that the driver begins to rely on it too much and one's sense of direction and even common sense takes leave. There are many instances where it would be very valuable, but in most situations, old fashioned maps and driving savvy will serve the driver much better.
Today, in the news, was the story of a 'bright' medical student who was stranded for three days on a logging road in New Brunswick because she was lead astray by her GPS. She was on her way to an internship in a hospital. Huh! Now, had she any common sense and not followed the prompts of the GPS voice, she would have realised that most hospitals are not situated on logging roads in the wilderness. 
I will not buy one of these because I do not want to be the guy who gets stranded half way down my driveway thinking I am in the Tim Horton's parking lot and wondering where the "Roll Up The Rim To Win" cups are.  

2 comments:

Rachel said...

It takes all the thinking and does it for you. Nice to enjoy the navigating yourself!
We got led astray in Dublin all due to a GPS system!

Chris said...

The Google map system has caused me to get lost twice lately too. It seems they are slow at updating. Whole street views can be wrong. I kind of enjoy looking for something and finding it rather than discovering that the professionals don't know what they are talking about. Having said that, it's pretty nice to have the auto sysem when you are staying in a city as large as Pheonix.