Saturday, March 12, 2011

Getting Tired



                                                             Ten man church in the Nicola Valley

Was I not doing this just a few minutes ago? That is what it feels like as I dig through the paperwork, sorting, discarding, filing, calculating, and tabulating. The time I saved not doing it in bits and pieces throughout the year is lost on me as I spend days doing the preparation for my tax return. So much of it only comes together right at the end of the year, and then there are all those 'slips' and receipts that only come at the end of Feb. My accountant gets on my back and wants my 'stuff' in early, so the pressure is on. But he tells that to all his clients so he is not up all night every night the week before tax deadline. 

I am doing all this as I fight off a flu/cold bug that I picked up at the last house I was working in. All my clients kids were home with head lice, her father-in-law was in and out with a cold, and her husband came home in the middle of the day with a bad case of the 'pukes'. What was I supposed to do, stop breathing?  So, in the midst of a headache fog, piles of soggy Kleenex, and cups of hot tea with lemon, I am fulfilling my obligation to my government, and in the end? My reward will be that I get to write out a humongous cheque to those who do not appreciate what I had to do earn all that money. And, in not appreciating it, they will spend it frivolously on their fat pension schemes and pay most of it on interest on the national debt. 

Now, if I could keep it all, I would enhance my own pension fund, and pay down my own debts, and then in my old age, they would not have to look after me.    


No comments: