Sunday, March 6, 2011

Am I Nervous?

Palm Desert Hibiscus

It was before Christmas when we contracted to hang some 'Anaglypta' wallpaper for a young man and his girl friend who had bought a house and were renovating it for their wedding. This is a type of wallpaper that is white in colour and has a patterned texture, and is meant to be painted after it is installed. He was going to paint it himself. In early February he changed his tune and contracted us to not only paint the Anaglypta, but paint all his new trim around the windows, doors and all the new crown mouldings and baseboards.
It was a real challenge because it was an older house and as such nothing was plumb or level and the huge gaps between walls and trim had to be heavily caulked.
We finished the job on Friday afternoon and were expecting the owner to arrive home before we left. He did not show up to pay us so we locked the house and left.
I got in touch with him Sat. afternoon after many calls and asked him how the job was. He was very pleased. I asked him how his day was going, wanting him to bring up the subject of payment, when and where. He said his day was going badly. I got a sudden chill as he told me the reason he did not get back on Friday was because the transmission on his truck blew up. He was stuttering and stammering as I asked if I could come by to pick up my payment. He was going to a wedding in Vancouver in the afternoon and evening. Maybe tomorrow. (Sunday) He said he would try. "Call me first", were his words. He would try to get the money together. Am I nervous?

I mentioned a few posts ago that I had only worked 5 hours in the first three weeks after my holiday and had not been paid yet. I pursued that today also. I hate having to run after the money. I rarely have do it. So the woman was having a "panic attack" when I told her I had not been paid yet. The job was actually started almost a year ago. There will be a cheque in the mail on Monday, she assured me. Am I nervous?

We are supposed to start a job on Monday and I have not heard from the customer all week. I tried to contact them today and they are not yet returning my calls. Am I nervous?

Being a self employed contractor can, at times, be a bit nerve wracking. I need some chocolate.  

1 comment:

Rachel said...

There's a price to pay for the 'freedom' of being your own boss.
I could not live with that kind of financial stress.