Saturday, March 26, 2011

Help Me!

I can think of few things more frustrating for me than misplacing something of importance.
I have three pairs of glasses. A 'good' pair of progressive lenses for general use, an old pair of progressives for driving to and from work, and a pair of 'single vision' glasses for work, giving me perfect focus for 'arms length work'. I also use these single vision glasses for computer and reading.
The glasses in question today were the 'single vision' work glasses. There are only a few places where they will ever be. On my nose when I am at work or on the computer or reading, in my work shirt pocket on the way to and from work, and on my night stand, for night, ready to slip back into the work shirt pocket in the morning.
Today, they were nowhere. I mean nowhere. I literally spent two hours looking for them, including calling the last business I was in yesterday, and the customer I was working for until late afternoon yesterday.
All of my 'stuff' has a place. I have learned over the aging years that this is a vital survival technique. I never just put stuff down. It has a place. That way, when I want it, I know exactly where it is. I have never lost or misplaced my keys, for example, because they have a place, and only one place.
When something is missing (not in its place) I know someone has moved it and then I have no way of knowing where to look for it. This results in blood pressure raising stress for me of the first order. I then have to blame ( accuse) others and they get defensive. I do not like to do this, but it is not me that missplaced the item.  But, I digress.
busylizzy 'made the bed' this morning and she does it differently than I do. She whips the blankets and pillows around violently to 'fluff them up' and sometimes the items on my night table go flying, things such as wallets, watches, internet radio remote, hankies, loose change, work notes, and yes glasses. I know this so one of the first places I looked was on the floor behind, beside, and underneath the night stand.
Fast forward to a only a few moments ago. busylizzy was feeling sorry for me as she sometimes does when I rant and rave and my blood pressure goes through the roof. She offered to look where I already looked. This sometimes works. She pulled the nightstand away from the wall and then we, together pulled the bed away from the wall. And then she spotted them. The glasses were hanging a few inches off the floor, dangling from the phone cord.
Aha! Vindication. It was not I, after all, that misplaced them. I am just so happy to have them back mainly because I do not have to order a new pair. And, my system of having a place for everything is still working for me. 
I was so relieved that I told busylizzy I wanted to lick her shirt. (It has the word "Chocolate" written all over it) I know, I am sick.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I can hear your mantra in my head from childhood about putting things in only one place.
Blah blah blah.
Losing things makes life interesting. Keith 'loses' his keys, wallet and cell phone daily.
It's fun to watch him run around in a snit. PURE entertainment.

Terry said...

We had friends in for dinner on Friday and it was like that when it came time to find the car keys in the purse. Her husband was standing behind her dangling the keys while she was panicing as she rummaged through her purse. Nice when you are on the outside looking in. :)