Saturday, October 1, 2011

Some Fabric and a Movie


After both working on Saturday morning, busylizzy and I took a quick trip to the USA. I have found a hassle free way of avoiding interrogation at the border crossing. I put on a sad puppy dog face and when they ask what the purpose of our trip is, I say in a mournful voice, "Fabric shopping." If the border guard is woman, she will have a gleeful smile on her face and say "For a quilt?" I nod and we are free to proceed. If it is a male border guard, I get a look of sympathy and a "I feel your pain" type of  comment and we go on our merry way.
It was true. We, or I should say busylizzy, shopped for fabric for a quilt while I stayed in the car and read the latest John Grisham novel.

We were only a few feet away from the cinemas in Sunset Square in Bellingham so went to check out was playing, and discovered that "Courageous" was just starting and there were a few seats left.
I had just viewed the trailer a day before so I knew what the premise of the movie was. The four cops, above, are good friends and good cops, but things happen and the real challenge of their lives, fatherhood, takes a front seat. The movie is actually quite well done but does get a bit sanctimonious a time or two. Overall, the acting is quite good and there is good character development. There are many threads running through the story but each is treated well and is interesting. There is comic relief amidst all the serious times, and one scene in particular, in the back of a cop car, is just quite simply hilarious. 
There is not a father out there, with even a tiny heart, who will not re-think his role as a parent and how his influence steers the family and his children, after watching this movie. The story finds much triumph in the face of tragedy and is inspiring on many levels. I recommend it. Warning: You will get your tears jerked.     

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Happy Anniversary!
What happened to a walk along the pier in Fairhaven?

Terry said...

Rain. That is what hsppened.

Terry said...

That would be 'happened'.