Friday, December 30, 2011

I've Been Kindled


No, it's not anything to do with fire starting. It is an e reader for those of you who have been hiding under a rock during the unprecedented advancements in hand held electronic devices.
For the first time in many years, I could actually think of something other than a Corvette when my kids asked me if I wanted anything for Christmas. I am an avid reader and my eyesight is deteriorating so I thought one of these devices might kill two birds with one stone.
I have to say that it meets my expectations. The font is adjustable and the script is very clear and well defined. Because it is on a flat screen, my eyes are not doing the minute adjustment for distance like they do in a book with a curved surface as it sits in the hands. It is not back lit like a computer screen so there is no eye strain.
It can hold more books than I will read in the rest of my life and I can load them directly onto the Kindle because it is wi-fi. Imagine bringing a half dozen good books on a vacation all wrapped up in a wafer thin device with incredible re-chargeable battery life. I completed my first book, read from my Kindle, (The Hunger Games) and I am already convinced that I will not miss holding an actual book in my hands.
And the Corvette? They tell me I would have received one already had they been able to get it under the Christmas Tree. I believe them because I taught my children not to lie.    

No comments: