Sunday, December 4, 2011

Signs of Aging

The last winter rose.

Absent: not present. It follows that something lost is absent, because it is not present.

I only ponder this because I cannot determine if I am absent minded, or if I have lost my mind.
On Friday, I posted about "Glitches" but on that day, my mind glitched too.  It may not seem like a big deal, but to me it was. You see, I got out of my daily routine, and that has its own set of dangers. I was off to the chiropractor's first thing in the morning, not to work. I rushed home, changed into work clothes, and raced off to my job, a 25 Km. commute that day. I no sooner got out of my vehicle, and I realised that I had not brought my special work glasses, glasses that are single vision for a close up focal point. Being late already, and having an agenda to keep, I decided the trip home was too time consuming, so I plugged away with my progressives. 
To say the least, I struggled all day, craning my neck into a position where I could see my work with some clarity, all the while tempted to drive home and back. Being the stubborn person that I am, I endured and got through the day, but not without paying a price. Having strained my neck in a backward position all day, my neck was so sore I developed a cracking headache. 
Conclusion: Is saving the time and gas to correct a vision problem worth more than wasting a chiropractor's fee and then having to go back to him for another correction? Of course, having lost my mind, I cannot even answer that question. 
I think I am ready for a "Man Purse", something that will store everything I might need every time I venture out of my house. I will have several of them, each one stocked with identical items, in case I lose one. Everything will be labeled and identified, with an explanation of why it is in the 'purse'. Covering the bases is becoming a survival skill.   

No comments: