Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Mistake!


We all have a space within which we are most comfortable. When someone 'gets in our face' we get uncomfortable, but for each one of us it is a bit different. Those who love crowds, for example, do not need much space. I like to keep a bit of distance.
My little trip to the Seven Oaks Mall on Boxing Day was a case in point. As I drove by the Alliance Church parking lot I was wondering what was going on there as the parking lot was full. Nothing, as it turned out, but it had become an overflow parking space for Boxing Day shoppers. The Mall parking lot holds thousands of cars so this was an indication of just how many people were there. I am not a mall shopper at the best of times. I found the masses of people were making me somewhat claustrophobic. It is the various smells of humanity that assault the senses that I find most delightful and most disturbing. As the sensual fragrance of a young ladies perfume makes me take a look around, I am suddenly brought back to reality with a whiff of curry and body odour, a bad combination even in the cold fresh air of a short December day. And there is the stale smell of tobacco on some one's breath, while his buddy counteracts that smell with the aroma of hot coffee wafting from the cup he is carrying. The overall atmosphere is humid and not really fresh as the air conditioning in the mall strains to keep up with all the exhaling. 
"Let me out!" It is the silent scream within me about to burst forth upon the surrounding ear drums. 
And then I remember my mission. I would not have come here without a purpose. I try to walk just a bit faster than the flow, but with there being no passing lane, all I accomplish is a harsh word from the weary shopper ahead of me as I step on his heel and his shoe comes right off. I mutter a not so Christian "Sorry" and rush on toward the avenue that will take me to "The Source", my destination. I notice on the way that some stores are letting customers in only a few at a time. These crowds encourage shop-lifting, probably a direct result of poor customer service and the confusion of too many bodies in a small space. 
"The Source" is full of people and I need to make an enquiry of someone knowledgeable. All staff are manning the cash registers ... except for one lone individual who looks like he taking a breather from irritated and demanding shoppers. I take a direct route to him, nearly knocking over a display of cell phone covers. I see another customer with equal determination, heading his way from the other direction. I pick up the pace and head the other guy off, just soon enough to avoid a tackle. Yes. He seems to know the technical answer to my question and reaches down inside a shelf and pulls out the $30.00 solution to my problem. I then pull out something similar from my pocket, something I thought to bring from home, and ask if this would work as well. Yes, it will work just fine, says he and with a heartfelt "thank you", I turn around and head back up stream feeling much like a salmon at spawning time. 
Mission accomplished. But at what price? I saved $30.00 and in the process endured my first ever Boxing Day at the mall. 
There are some things in life that you only need to do once, like getting married and going to the mall on Boxing Day. Why would anybody in their right mind do that again?     

No comments: