Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Bit of Nostalgia


The marching band performing in front of the BC Parliament buildings in Victoria BC

We attended a high school basketball game tonight, something I had not done in many years. It was at my old school so I had to make a decision. Would I cheer for the team from the school at the top of our street, or would I cheer for the the school that my grandsons attend. Actually, it was a 'no brainer'. 
The game was not as well attended as in the days of old. It could be because the school is now known more for volleyball than basketball, but in my day it was a basketball purist's school and the gym would be filled to capacity every game.  
Another motivator for going was that the MEI Marching Band, 'The Screaming Eagles' was going to be in attendance entertaining during 'time outs' and at half time. 
That was worth the price of admission for sure. My grandson Chad is in band at the school, playing the trombone, but wants to upgrade to saxophone eventually, and join in the marching band. It is a worthy goal. This band is sought after for various events and rightly so. They are precise, very musical, and the choreography, while marching and playing, is something to see. The drum corpse is particularly electrifying. 
One thing that has not changed at my old school, is the competitive spirit and the striving for excellence. It was good to be back.  

3 comments:

Chris said...

Did you take this picture?

Terry said...

No. Found on the net.

Rachel said...

I knew I could re-vive the flame of your former love for your alma mater :)
I hope you continue to support the boys' school and their activities within it!