Monday, January 14, 2013

Hang It


True to keeping with the current trends, my customers or their designers are mostly choosing black and white wallpapers. Above, we are working in a very fine home in Pepin Brook Winery Estates, installing a leather-like wall covering in a powder room. One of the most challenging tasks is to accurately paper around a pedestal sink, without calling a plumber to dismantle the whole thing. This time it turned out rather well.  


Just putting on the finishing touches, maybe cleaning up. That is my nether region you see with a towel rack coming out of it. No, I was not impaled.  My official photographer does not always warn me when it is photo time. 


Today we were at the top of Eagle Mountain. Although the view from the south side of this house was "to die for", my photographer thought this the better subject. The ceiling was 9 ft. tall and with no room for a ladder in the cramped quarters, I am standing on a granite counter top, praying that it will bear my weight. 


The black and silver wallpaper was fragile and every corner was crooked. The 'mud' on the drywall seams was inadequate, and the paint sealer was of such poor quality that it did not seal, so the moisture from the adhesive buckled the drywall tape and there were horizontal buckles in the wall right at eye level. We will find out in 24 hours if the buckles shrunk smooth after the wall dried. It will be an expensive repair if they do not settle down, but it was an unforeseen circumstance beyond my control and it will be at someone else's expense. 


Smoothing the second to last piece, I was happy when the contractor offered to remove the toilet which is near my toes. It sure does make my job easier. When I saw this photo, I realized that I had forgotten my usual deceitful practice of sucking in my Christmas belly. But you can see the wallet in my back pocket is fat from all the work we have had. Ten hours last week and so far three hours this week. At this rate, the Christmas belly will evaporate as we run out of grocery money. 

4 comments:

Rachel said...

That floral paper is just beautiful!

Terry said...

Yes, I agree. The white was smooth and shimmery, while the black was a raised leathery texture. Very 3D.

Chris said...

It's always difficult hiding someone else's poor workmanship. But I know you and Andrew do a great job.

Terry said...

24 hours later I have not yet heard if the issue straightened itself out.