Monday, October 5, 2009

Etiquette

Amaranth in the late afternoon autumn light as seen from our deck.

Coming back from a bit of a break, I do not like to get off on a negative note, but I have had a pet peeve for quite some now and it is bugging me more every day.
Here is how it works. You meet someone on the street and say ''hi". They stare off into space as if you did not exist, although you know they heard you. Then you ask them a question and they totally ignore you, although you know they heard you. Then you phone them and say "hi", ask them the same question and you are met with total silence. You know they are there on the line and that they heard you. So now you write a letter and ask them, again, and request a reply, a phone call, or to meet for a coffee. You know they received and read the letter but did not even acknowledge that you just tried to communicate with them.
Of course this would never happen unless they were a total stranger and they did not know you either. And yet, it happens ALL THE TIME.
I am talking about what I call email etiquette. Why is receiving a personal email any different than the above scenarios? Email is a modern day mode of communication no different that talking in person, phoning, or writing a letter. I am not talking about 'forwards'. Forwards are things you can reply to or not. Often they do not deserve a response, so I do not have a problem with that. And yet I have sent many personal emails to individuals who do not respond in any way shape or form. If I talked to them on the street or phoned them, they would reply, but why not by email? I am sure none of my readers are culprits, and indeed the people who do this are few and far between, but they are out there and they need to learn some manners. It is not like they can anonymously snub the sender. The sender knows who they are. They do it by their lack of response, and it is just plain rude.
Just one minute, you say. Some people do not use their email or do not like sitting at the computer as much as you do. Fine. Then delete your email program and never, ever give out an email address. If you have an email address, you should be checking your email every day, just like you check your 'snail mail box" every day. Check it, read it, respond to it, or get rid of it.
Phew! I feel much better now that I got that off my chest. The only people who will be offended by this post are the ones who have offended me so I guess we are even. Just remember, I still love you. :)

3 comments:

Eric Vogt said...

I like the harsh light from teh side on the flower, though it may be a little harsh. The simple background is great, and makes the flower really "pop". Simply gorgeous! Great photo.

Ang said...

ouch! Guilty. Thanks for the reprimand...I needed it.

Terry said...

Are you the 'Ang' with the same last name as 'moi'?