Tuesday, October 27, 2009

On Losing my Memory

McClure Road westbound,
McClure Road eastbound.
My mother used to love touring show homes, whether in a new sub-division, townhouse complex, or condominium high rise. For her, one of the primary considerations was how much storage space there was. She was not what I would call a pack rat, but she just needed room for her stuff. We all have stuff, and we all need a space to store it. I have seen many homes where the expensive vehicles are parked outside, in the elements, not in the two or three car garage. The reason is, the garage is full of stuff. Fast forward to our technical age and take note of all the electronic gadgets and devices we own and sometimes use. The primary consideration seems to be the amount of storage on the device. I recently purchased a 500 GB external hard drive, simply because the 250 GB hard drive built into my computer was inadequate. Cell phones, digital cameras, iPods, and all the other devices are advertised as to how much stuff you can store. Certainly a tiny memory stick, or HD card will take up much less space than an extra closet in the bedroom, but I am finding that like a stuffed closet, a full memory device is just as difficult to find your stuff in. And just try misplacing that memory card. It is as traumatic as misplacing your three car garage.

No comments: