Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Labouring on Labour Day

As mentioned a few days ago, I took on a job as a favour to a decorator friend. It was at the Ramada Inn here in town, where some severe flooding from a plugged toilet ruined a suite below. They did the ceiling and drywall repair and then hired an inexperienced paper hanger to replace the wall coverings. He did a terrible job and then I was asked to 'fix it'.
I went in on Saturday to prepare the walls and discovered, much to my delight, that the poorly hung paper come off very easily and I was out of there in a few hours. Today (Monday) we went in to hang the new vinyl and I must say it looks quite fabulous. This is a photo of the room from the website but the wall covering we installed is much warmer looking than this older style.
I did not bring my camera to work so this is not a photo of what we did either, but looks more similar. I used to hang this type of material full time, installing about 3000 to 4000 rolls per year. One roll covers about 26 sq. ft. I roll the adhesive on the wall and then lay the vinyl onto the wall. Each piece is 54 inches wide so it goes fairly quickly. The edges are overlapped and then double cut to make a perfect and invisible seam. Each piece is reverse hung to avoid any discrepancy in colour or texture shading that might occur across the sheet. So each seam is left side to left side and right side to right side. There, now you can do it too.  

No comments: