Friday, November 16, 2007

The first story

The Ultimate Challenge Part 1

The Ultimate Challenge

There are going to be times in everyone's life when he or she will be called upon to do something so out of character and so above and beyond everyday experience that when the dust settles, there will be a profound sense of relief and, if the task is done well, a sense of accomplishment that is unsurpassed. One of those challenges came my way in the winter of '02.
I had known Stan in a casual sort of way for a number of years, so when we met in church one day and he asked me if I could do some work for him, I did not hesitate. A few days later I was in his home discussing a paint job that would include his entry. There was a wallpaper border along the ceiling in the entry that was a considerable distance off the floor and I offered to strip the border before we did any painting. He assured me that he and his wife Donna could do that themselves. When I asked him how he was going to get up there, he indicated that he was not sure but they would find a way. I immediately offered him my planks and ladders and he accepted. I would bring them on a Saturday and that would give him a chance to get the job done before I came the following Monday.
The appointed Saturday arrived and having a number of other things to do that day, I phoned and asked if I could be a few minutes late. He said that he too had a full day and if I could come at the appointed time it would be better for him. I always try to be as accommodating as possible so I arrived on time and proceeded to unload the planks and ladders from my truck. It was all sitting on his front step as I rang the doorbell. He came to the door and offered to help me but I thought it would be much quicker if I did it myself. Two ladders and a 10' plank were all leaning on the wall in his entry and I was about to leave when I asked him if he knew how to set up the 3-way ladder on the stairs. He had never seen one so I proceeded to show him. There was no room inside the house so I brought the ladder outside and did my demonstration on the steps leading to his front door. I had no sooner started than I heard a crash behind me. I turned and saw Stan laying on the floor of his entry and making no attempt to get up. I immediately thought he had somehow tripped on the ladder and had fallen. He appeared to be stunned or even unconscious

No comments: