Friday, November 16, 2007

Part 2

"How could he do that?" I asked myself as I ran to his aid. I fought back the first feelings of panic that were beginning to well up inside of me. His head was twisted to one side as it was jammed against the lowest rung of the large extension ladder leaning against the wall. I kneeled down at his head and much to my amazement heard him gasping for air, unsuccessfully. I was convinced that his air passage was being restricted because of the angle of his twisted neck. If I could only straighten his neck, he would be able to breathe once again. But why could I not move him. He was not that big a man but I was not able to budge him until I realized that he was as stiff as a board and his feet were pressing firmly against the door frame, forcing his neck against the ladder. I got up and with all my strength, kicked at his feet until the pressure was released and I could straighten his neck. As I did so, the pressure against the ladder was release and it started to fall outward, sure to twist his neck even further and perhaps break it. Crouched in the position that I was, there was no way I could catch the ladder in its fall forward and all I could do was to utter an audible " Help me God". At that instant, the ladder caught itself in the bottom of the handrail that was just beneath it and it hung there precariously, but safe for the moment.
It was quite evident by now that Stan was not breathing and was either seriously injured or had just had a stroke or heart attack. I had to do something because I was the only one there, but I also needed help and realized that before I do anything, I had to call 911. I did not know where the phone was in his house and did not want to waste precious moments searching for it, or worse yet, finding that for some reason I would not know how to operate it immediately. My own cell phone was only a few steps away in my truck so I opted to dash for the truck and make the call from there. As I picked up the phone, I remembered that one of the features was an instant dial for 911. All I had to do was hold down the #1 key and it would dial automatically. I did that and nothing happened. I did it again and feeling the precious moments slip by panicked when the phone seemed to be dead. Almost in anger, I dialed 911 and again, nothing. Adrenaline gives you strength, but apparently not smarts. In desperation, I jabbed at the send button and immediately, there was a voice at the other end.

No comments: