Monday, November 19, 2007

Window Box Geraniums

Here is one more picture I took at Evita's farm. As we were being led through the barn to the hay loft, I stopped and turned around. I let the rest of the group go ahead as I studied this scene. The lower part of the barn is a working barn, a home for a horse and perhaps a few other critters. I was washed over with nostalgia as the odours and sights that surrounded me stimulated my memory banks until I was once again a boy of 6, standing in my Grandfather's barn in Osler Saskatchewan. The heavily beamed ceiling was barely above my head and crisscrossed with cobwebs and ancient wiring for the dim overhead incandescent bulbs. Odours of manure and hay permeated the stagnant air, a smell, strangley enough, I was relishing at that moment. A small window set low in the wall, just above a hay manger was reluctantly allowing enough light in to allow me to avoid stepping in anything unpleasant. The irregular barn grade glass on the window was distorting the view, but not as much as the accumulated dust and cobwebs. It was a perfect effect as the bright reds and greens of the geraniums in the window box were muted just enough to blend in with the drab brown and roughness of the interior barn boards. The new and fresh life as seen through the old and decaying frame of the window was not really captured in this photo as it was, but close enough to conjure up the old memories everytime I look at it.

No comments: