Friday, November 16, 2007

Seeing it a bit differently.

Lying face down in the centre of a busy highway, trusting my ears to detect traffic approaching from the rear, all to get just a bit of a different perspective on a very common scene, is just how I feel sometimes, about my life. Striving to be unique in a world full of sameness is not unique. Achieving the objective, however, is unique. Questioning common knowledge is not easy as we are relentlessly being pressed on all sides to conform.
When I see the world through the lens of my camera, there is nobody telling me how to see, how to compose, or how to frame the object or scene in front of me. Post production efforts on the photo only tend to bring more of that out in me.
My son is an excellent photographer and his objective is realism, making the photo as natural and as real as possible. He gets amazing results and his photos are like looking at a scene with 5 years of cataracts having just been removed.
I go for just a bit more of the artsty look. If some of my photos look a little 'off the wall', realise that others may find them attractive. Beauty, after all, is in the eye of the beholder. Too bad that is not a unique saying because I would love to take credit for it.

No comments: