Thursday, June 19, 2008

Living in the Moment


I usually post once a day, but today there will be a bonus post. I came across this poem written by a fourteen year old boy. I do not know if this is true (that he is fourteen) because such wisdom usually comes much later in life. Perhaps his dad helped him write it for an English project at school. In any event, it made me sit up and take notice.
It was spring but it was summer I wanted; the warm days and the great outdoors.
It was summer but it was fall I wanted; the colorful leaves and the cool dry air.
It was fall but it was winter I wanted; the beautiful snow and the joy of the holiday season.
It was now winter but it was spring I wanted; the warmth and the blossoming of nature.
I was a child but it was adulthood I wanted; the freedom and the respect.
I was twenty but it was thirty I wanted; to be mature and sophisticated.
I was middle-aged but it was twenty I wanted; the youth and the free spirit.
I was retired but it was middle-age that I wanted; the presence of mind without limitations.
My life was over but I never got what I wanted.
Tomorrow is Friday. Enjoy it. Live in the moment.

No comments: