Friday, August 15, 2008

Last Year


This is a picture of last years apple crop. In a previous post, I showed you the bumper crop of sour cherries we got this year. One! There are no apples at all this year. It was a bigger crop last year than we usually get and I have been told that it is too stressful for a tree to produce a large crop two years in a row. A bit like Canadian athletes, I guess.
Today is a hot day! It has not been this warm here on this day since 1948. I guess Global Warming was more of a problem back then.
I see a big study has come out tracking the loss of Arctic ice to increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. It correlates! But what also correlates is the downturn in the lumber industry, the increase in immigration, and the cost of gasoline. Why are these things not also implicated?
Global weather patterns are not only complex, but the input of influencing factors are myriad and the combinations infinitesimal. I have read that the 100, 500, 1000 and 5000 year trends are all toward a cooling earth. Within each of those periods of time, there have been spikes, both upward and downward. To look at a short period of time and draw conclusions that appear to be long term is irresponsible. There are so many agendas at work here and I am very skeptical of any information that prods the world into spending money foolishly to try to change something that is not really happening. According to Al Gore, the high tides of the Pacific should have been lapping at my doorstep by now.

No comments: