Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Why Photograph?


I had coffee with an old friend and the conversation turned to photography. He said that as time progressed, he cared less about his photos and did not care if they were lost, stolen or destroyed. It got me thinking. Why do we even do it if it is unimportant, and it is true that in the end, we cannot take the photos with us and they may just end up in a recycle bin somewhere.
I think you would agree that there is a fascination with an old family photo, the older it being, the more intriguing it is. It is our history and as well, we look for family resemblances and are intrigued with the way the genetic pool plays itself out.
On the other hand, that picture we took of the waterfall in Montana in 1974 has absolutely no meaning today, unless it was a picture of superb quality in its composition and lighting. The difference is that then it is not just the recording of what we saw on a family trip, but it is a piece of art worth preserving. One of the reasons I take photos is because it is a creative outlet for me. I see beauty in nature and I want to record it and turn it into something that brings pleasure to all who see it. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as we have all discovered as we have wandered through art museums.
I would be disappointed, but not devastated, if all my photos were to be lost. Some are 'once in a lifetime' shots, but most can be reproduced at some future time. Even if they are never once looked at after I am gone, it will be OK. What they do for me now, as a creative hobby, and as a way to appreciate God's amazing handiwork, is worth it.

No comments: