Saturday, August 16, 2008

Lynden Fair


Two things that almost prevented me from going to the Lynden Fair yesterday were the heat and the prospect of border lineups. But tickets for the Newsboys concert had been purchased a few days earlier and so the prospect of those seats going unfilled motivated me to go. The wait at the border was an hour and the heat became less of a factor due to good air conditioning in the car and the light overcast that drifted in during the hottest part of the day.
It was the first time for me and I must say that I was favourably impressed. It is a family oriented event and had an overall wholesome feel to it, unlike a lot of sleaze that one encounters at the PNE. Getting stuffed on 'fair food' is a prerequisite and I manged to do that by the time the concert started. Is there anything more delicious and unhealthy than a humongous Elephant Ear? In my younger years I would have consumed a Funnel Cake as a chaser, but at some point in one's life, common sense prevails.
The stadium was packed as the Newsboys came to the stage. They did not disappoint their dedicated fans. I am only a recent fan since their last two or three albums, so was not that familiar with most of their tunes from their earlier days. They have been around since 1980 and have a large repertoire under their belts. I must say I got chills when they were singing "Amazing Love" and the big orange August moon slowly rose over the stage, partially obscured from time to time by the high altitude mottled clouds drifting by. The evening was balmy, the music great, though a little loud for me (did I just say that?) and spending time with good friends made it a perfectly wonderful day.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Rock on Dad....wish we could have gone. Not good timing this year :)

Terry said...

You must take your boys next year. There was a Lego/train set-up to die for in the hobby building.

Rachel said...

We will...and leave the baby back home with you :)