Sunday, March 22, 2009

Content, Just Like the Cows

Another Sunday and I find myself doing what I do every Sunday. But I could be saying that no matter what the day was. Babies and old people thrive on routine. My dilemma is that I am neither and as a result, I am not satisfied with routine. It has been a difficult week because of my physical limitations and when I am working and hurting, I think of the winter vacation we missed out on this year. I always thought it was more about getting away from winter for a few weeks, but it is also about getting away from routine.
I must remind myself to be grateful for all that my life is, because it is quite wonderful compared to the majority of lives around the world. It is in our nature to want more than what we have, do more than what we are doing, and be more than what we are. Contentment is a difficult destination and yet it is one of the keys to happiness. We are so often limited by our circumstances and right now, that is what I am feeling. Some I can control, some I cannot. Some I worry about, some I do not worry about. But life is always a series of circumstances and we do have a choice as to how we react to them.
There is a yearning in every one's soul for perfect circumstances, ideal situations, everything just the way we like it. This is built into our very nature, a kind of dissatisfaction with the way things are, a frustration when things go wrong. I believe that this is a longing for Heaven, the perfect world in which all is well. The longer I am in this world, the more I realise that Heaven is not on this earth. I found out a long time ago that something will always go wrong and as good as it gets, it could be just a bit better... if only.
I think I can handle the routine a bit longer, because when this is over, I know where I am going.

2 comments:

Susan said...

You wrote the very words that I have been feeling lately. Sometimes the "routine" of daily life becomes humdrum, boring. Yet there are those "moments" in my life that take me away from routine, and for those I am thankful. Good post.. Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Frankly, from where I am sitting on my louge chair, soaking up the sunshine, listening to the water, I am inclined to say that the winter visit to the sunshine needs to be a part of the hum-drum routine annually recognizing that this is not always possible, however it sure makes me think it is a good idea. You and your love should be here....thinking of you.