Sunday, March 15, 2009

Tax Time

As in every other year, I am overwhelmed. Where do I start? I think I received the last of the receipts and various other pieces of paper so now I have no more excuses. The mountains of paper sit on my desk, matched only by mountains more in my filing cabinet in various files marked "Tax Preparation". The joys of self-employment, at the present, are being completely negated by the chore ahead of me. You would think that after 34 years of the same thing, I would be more organised. You would think. Well, think again. I retained an accountant about twenty years ago and that was a big step forward, but I still cannot bring myself to simply bring him a U-Haul full of paper every March and expect him to sort through it on his own. He would have even less of a clue as to what is what, than I do. So I do the organising, the sorting, the itemizing, and the listing, while he does the calculations and the filing of the forms to Revenue Canada. Oh, and he also takes a good chunk of my money. But, I do not begrudge him that fee as I tell myself every year that he saves me more than I pay him.
In case you had not noticed, I am procrastinating by writing this post.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I bought Quick Tax this year. I hope it's as 'quick' as it says otherwise I might as well save myself $40 and do it by hand as usual.

Susan said...

Grrrrrrr... I dread it too. More than usual this year because, even after paying in a good chunk of change, we will have to forfeit even more of our hard earned dollars to the IRS. I'm going to put it off just a while longer, LOL. Just call me an even bigger procrastinator.