Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Punks

A punk, or punks, thought they needed something in my truck yesterday, but unfortunately it was locked. There was nothing of value visible, but they took a chance and did they hit the jackpot! They made off with my ashtray and its contents, loose change amounting to maybe twenty dollars, but not before wrenching both door locks and doing body damage to both doors. To a punk, this must not be a big deal at all, two minutes of work for pocket change, but the impact this little act has, is not so small. Consider the ripple effect of this petty crime.
A call to BCAA roadside assistance to get the doors open after they had been closed and locked.
Where to put an unsecured truck until the repairs are made.
A phone call to ICBC (Insurance) to make a quick claim after having made an online claim that was not going to work quickly enough.
A call to my dealership and a trip there to see if a temporary repair can be made.
A quick visit to a body shop where they tell me they need to do body work and repaint the doors and it would take four days.
Many phone calls to repair shops certified by ICBC to find one that can not only do the repair quickly, but can loan or arrange rental of truck suitable for my work.
Finally a trip to the right repair shop and more paperwork, then a trip to the rental agency for the rental van.
Cost to me: $300.00 deductible, $40.00 waiver of deductible on rental van, almost a whole day of lost income, and enough aggravation for a long time to come. Also, I am now behind in my scheduling.
Loss to ICBC: at least another $900.00
My suggestion: They give proper break-in tools to the punks so they do not do any damage to the vehicles they break into. The tow truck drivers sent out by BCAA have amazing tools for opening doors! If everyone keeps no valuable in their vehicles, the punks will soon give up. Most vehicles today have immobilisers so they cannot be stolen.
A footnote: My ashtray cannot be replaced by insurance until I make out a Police Report saying that something was stolen. I can pick one up from the auto wreckers for a few dollars so why bother. So this is another unreported crime who's cost was $1200.00 plus lost income. The police say that crime rates are going down. I say, and the auto body repair guys say, "Not so." People just don't bother reporting any more. With all the shootings and murders around here, can't you just see the police sending out an all points bulletin for a gray medium sized ashtray! I think not.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did this happen at home or at work?
The inconvenience and the deductible are the worst! Glad you didn't come between the truck and the punks. You nmay have lost a lot more work!

Susan said...

I understand the aggravation of having to deal with the results of a theft.. grrrrrrr. Seems we are further victimized by the treacherous tasks of dealing with the legalities afterward. I agree with what Gaye said as well. Sorry to read that happened to you Terry.

Terry said...

This happened at work at the prestigious Towne Centre Tower. No, it is good for the punks that I did not come between them and my truck. I get hot real quick and with that comes lack of fear or concern for my safety. It would have been the punk that would have lost work, and possibley his teeth. :)

Anonymous said...

This is really terrible event.

On This Rock said...

How absolutely frustrating. It really is a violation of not just the vehicle but to you ...and of course everyone else whose vehicle it was not, but could be next time. Nasty to have this happen but good it wasn't worse....nasty to have to deal with the outcome, but good to have insurance....nasty to not know who they are, but good for them (and maybe you) that you didn't get the chance to meet them face-to-face....yup, the heat of the moment does cloud judgement but sometimes does solve problems...hope there isn't a next time.

Terry said...

What bothers me most is that there is no way to prevent this kind of thing happening again, other than to have a Pitt Bull live my truck for the duration.