Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Old Friend

One of these days when I am not so lazy and my truck is very clean, I will take a photo of it and post it here. In the meantime, here is a replica, but keep in mind that mine is burgundy, has a canopy, and has mag wheels. I could have purchased a newer, bigger, brighter truck many times over the last 16 years, but what would be the point? My truck was built in 1993, the last year that the Mazda B2200 was manufactured in Japan. The year following it became a Mazda/Ford hybrid and the reputation has been falling since. These '93's are amazing in their dependability, fuel economy, and endurance. It is simply the best vehicle I have ever owned. It would be foolish to trade up to something that diminished in value rapidly, cost me more money, and would do nothing more, or less, than my Mazda does for me now.
Today I got my old friend back from the body shop. The total bill was over $1600.00, $300.00 of which came out of my pocket. A 16 year old import pickup would normally not have a value of over $1500.00 so it stands to reason that the punk that jimmied my locks with a screw driver nearly 'totalled' my truck. In fact, I am surprised that the insurance did not write it off. As I drove up to the body shop, there were some guys standing around my truck, admiring it and checking out the odometer. One of them was also a '93 Mazda owner and he was very envious as his had 500,000 km and mine only had 149,000. On Monday I will pack all my tools back into my little work horse and it will continue to serve me well.

6 comments:

Susan said...

Awwww.... I understand your endearment for your truck. Why part with a good thing if we don't have to? LOL, my post today is about our dear old VW Beetle :)

On This Rock said...

Glad to hear that you are back "on the road again" with your truck. I think F feels that kind of sentiment for every vehicle that we have owned, except for the one I totalled. Every vehicle that we have ever owned is still in our shop I think...can even see the ground through a rusted out floor board on one of them. Thank goodness they are hidden away and not on display in the back yard.

Terry said...

I was reluctant to part with my
'80 Mazda pickup but I had no storage room for it. Otherwise I might be just like F.

Rachel said...

Sorry I called your truck 'junk'. I can see now how attached you are to it :)
So. You getting an alarm now?

Terry said...

Rachel, I thought you were refering to my rusty stamped metal bumper. It was the only add-on I put onto that truck and it is the only thing getting rusty.

Murray and Tracy said...

I'm sorry to hear about the break-in. I've had enough of those as well. Good to read that they covered the repairs rather than writing it off. You never get enough to replace exactly what you had.

I too own an "experienced" Mazda and am very happy with the build quality and longevity. Nearly 300,000 km on my '94 MX-3 now and it's still going strong.