Friday, March 6, 2009

Wild Wild West

I dredged up this old photo from my archives. I took it in one of those old wild west towns that are a replica or maybe a restoration of a town from years gone by. This one had everything except the horses and the gunfighters. I have always loved the old wild west books and movies about pioneers and frontier justice. One thing though, that has always irked me. The movie sets would generally be made to look old, like in this photo. But, at that time, the towns were brand new and there would not be a weathered board in sight. But we are so conditioned by now that if a wild west town site were to be built of new lumber, we would find it odd. We like to think that history was full of 'old stuff'. How silly.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I love the pic. However, I must confess that I'm one of those "conditioned" folks that see the "old west" as... ummm Old, LOL. I never really expected or paid attention to the aged look of the props on those movies or books. Now, I will (thanks to you) :)