Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Foggy River Sunrise

There were three things that happened to me thirty years ago that tested my memory recently. The first one is this picture. I remember like yesterday, standing at the water's edge, waiting for the sunrise glow to intensify, and then, with the last frame on my film, snapping the shutter and hoping for the best. It was in the days of film photography when we could not afford to snap away at a sunset or sunrise at various f stops, hoping for a proper exposure. Today, we shoot 20 0r 30 digital frames and know that one or two will likely be good enough to avoid deleting.
The other two incidents are two phone calls I received from 'old' customers, both from around 30 years ago. The first one I remembered immediately and rattled off a number of details about them and the job I did for them. Naturally, they were pleased, but not half as pleased as I was. Minutes later, the second party called, and they too were 'old' customers, but this time there was no light bulb, no ringing bell, no penny dropping. Try as I might, I kept drawing a blank. I made an appointment to see them at their new home and I would do a consultation for them and surely I would then remember them. It did not happen. I mean, I did not remember them. They were total strangers to me and even after describing the location and details of their previous home. I drew a big blank. I was embarrassed and apologised profusely. They were gracious and shrugged it off, but I must admit that it is still bothering me greatly. At this rate, I may forget about it by morning.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh-huh! Give yourself a few years, you'll wake up and look at Lis and wonder where you know her from and no matter how hard you try, you will not remember. Talk about a foggy sunrise! (-:

I beat Susan!

Terry said...

You have started my day off with a good belly laugh! Actually I woke up this morning and she was not even there. (Early shift today)

Who is Susan? :)

Rachel said...

That could keep a marriage spicy...not knowing who your bed-fellow is :) LOL!!!!!!!

Terry said...

Or forgetting what you can do with a bedfellow! :)

Susan said...

Hmmm.....I was just peeking in to say how much I love the foggy pic. LOL, and I see there's an entirely different subject here, behind the scenes. Bedfellows? LOL, now that's a "touchy" subject, hee hee. By the time I am old enough to "forget" what to do with a bedfellow, I have faith that someone will publish a very detailed book on how to help me remember :)