Sunday, December 27, 2009

Door Issues


We were fully confident that the window and door project would be behind us by now. The first day saw smooth sailing as the guys removed and installed 15 windows. The next day, they finished the windows and installed the kitchen and basement entry doors. They brought along, but did not install the rather large patio sliding door. It was the wrong size and the wrong type. Then, as I emerged from the remaining warm spot in the house, I noticed that the newly installed kitchen door was two inches short. Yes, they knew as they were installing it, but thought they could doctor it. They couldn't, and besides, I insisted they remove it and put in a correctly fitting door. They re-ordered the door but left the shorty in place so our house would be secure and somewhat weather proof.
On the third day, they brought and installed the massive front door with its beveled glass window and sidelights. I was looking at it and observing how different it looked in construction from the other two. I checked my contract and confirmed that I had ordered and paid extra for fibreglass doors, not steel doors. There was no question that the front door was fibreglass, but the other two were steel. How does one prove this besides whacking it with a hammer to see if it will dent? Easy. Get a magnet. The little fridge magnet stuck to the two smaller doors but not the main entry door. I pointed this out to the foreman, who looked perplexed. He called his boss and relayed the information that the fibreglass doors are steel with a fibreglass skin. I did not say anything but wondered why the magnet did not stick to the front door. My plan is to go to the local building supply store where they sell Masonite doors and make some inquiries.
This story will continue.

1 comment:

Gaye said...

What a headache!