Thursday, December 31, 2009

Settling In

The photo was taken on Christmas Day. We had my Dad in for the day and here he is modeling the new sweater he got, only one of many gifts. He told me later that he really enjoyed the day and he was very appreciative. He also told me something I was wanting to hear, and that is that he was ready to go 'home', meaning his new home, the care facility. I was greatly relieved to hear that as it could have been not so.
Today (Tues.) one of my sisters and I had our first evaluation meeting with representatives of the various staff that are involved with his care. It was a congenial meeting where all the issues and various aspects of his care were put on the table. The long and short of it was that all is going very well and the few minor concerns we have will be addressed. He is displaying a deterioration in his memory and we are more convinced than ever that he is where he should be. We are all so very grateful for the kind and considerate care he is receiving. He is content and our minds are at ease. He is actually doing better now than several years ago, except for his dementia. The transition from independent living, to hospital, to care home, has been a bit stressful, but is now behind us and in retrospect, we can see God's hand in it. He knew what we needed and he delivered. We are truly grateful!

No comments: