Wednesday, December 16, 2009

On The Edge

I have blogged in the past about my former self, specifically in regards to my temper. Today I was on the edge of having that old behaviour bubble through the veneer of calm and control I was trying hard to maintain.
It started in August when I was asked to do a small job for a prestigious construction company. I had worked for them several times in the past and had no doubt that it would work out fine this time too. They build high end homes in the finest area of town and this was a custom house for a 'very particular' customer. Between then and now, I have made eleven trips to the job site. It should have been done in two. Each trip is 40 minutes and 28 kilometers there and back. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Not a single trouble was my fault, in fact the customer gave me a very nice compliment today regarding my workmanship. The blunders by others, and in particular, the paranoia of the customer, conspired against me and today I almost 'lost it'.
I take pride in the customer service and friendly demeanor that I go out of my way to provide. But, on my tenth trip this afternoon, just pulling off the freeway on my way home, my cell phone rang and it was HER. I promptly turned around and drove straight back up the mountain. I was seething and I was planning words to the effect that she will not take her house with her when she dies (and I could help her do that right now) and that she should get a life beyond her obsession with her house. Even as I rang the perfect doorbell beside the perfect door with the perfect Christmas wreath, I was tempted to turn around, get back in my truck and just leave before I did or said something I would be forever sorry for.
And then I remembered a short conversation that took place a while ago. She asked me if I went to church and where. She did not, but we did know someone in common who had attended there, so she was familiar with my church. I immediately got hold of myself and realised that I was being an ambassador for any Christian that she might meet in the future.
And when she came to the door, I had a smile on my face, and it was not entirely fake. I was now in a competition to see who would break first. And it was not going to be me.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

High maintenance customers! Good thing they are few and far between. Don't blow gasket...it would be messy.