Thursday, December 10, 2009

Eye Check


I finally had an afternoon to follow up on my eye appointment which usually happens every two years. I have been looking forward to this as I think I need new glasses. My distance vision is quite good but I have been finding it increasingly difficult to read, needing better light and perhaps better magnification.
After a thorough test, it was determined that the glasses I now have, and the prescription under which they were made, are perfect for my eyes. My vision is fairly good and has not changed in four years.
However, after my pupils were dilated and the bright lights shone into them, it was discovered that I have trace cataracts. My first thought was that this only happens to old people. Duh! The cornea in both eyes is just starting to cloud over and discolour. Although it is far too soon to do anything about it, it means that down the road there will be cataract surgery. I am grateful that in my generation, there has evolved such surgery and poor eyesight from this common problem can be rectified.
However, it makes me think that knee and hip replacement cannot be far behind for this old worn out body of mine.
Off to the chiropractor this morning.

4 comments:

On This Rock said...

Well, good news! I observed a cataract surgery last week...took the doc 8 minutes...and it was fascinating. As good an entertainment as any I have had lately....and you can watch it on the TV screen with your good eye while it is happening.

Terry said...

I think I would prefer waiting until the video came out.

Gaye said...

It's the lens that clouds over AND in many cases now you can get lenses that correct all your vision problems. Perhaps no maore glasses at all!

Terry said...

Imagine the new developments by the time I need something done. Maybe a new eyeball .... with choice of colour! Or several sets with a plug-in connector at the back like a USB port. And a telephoto model. And an x-ray model. The possibilities are unlimited.